4 4oz boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed of any visible fat
1/2 cup fat free egg substitute or 3 egg whites mixed w/ 2 Tbl. water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter seasoning ie Molly McButter, Butter Buds, etc.
2 ounces reduce fat Swiss cheese divided into 4 slices
4 ounces 96 to 98% fat free ham, thinly sliced
Honey Dijon Cream Sauce:
1/2 cup fat free half and half
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock or 1/2 cup water mixed with tsp. chicken soup base or bouillon
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
1. Combine croutons in food processor with salt and butter seasoning and process until fine, set aside.
2. Pour egg substitute or egg whites and water into a shallow bowl, beat lightly and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a non-stick or stick-resistant baking dish or baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
4. Cover each chicken breast top and bottom with a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound/shape each breast out as evenly as possible into a 1/4 inch thick square/rectangle.
5. Fold cheese inside of ham slice(s) and place on half side of chicken breasts. Fold other half of breasts over top of ham and cheese and fasten edges together with toothpicks.
6. Dip chicken breasts in egg, cover both sides in bread crumbs and place in prepared baking dish. Lightly spray top of breasts with cooking spray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken is fork tender and breading has browned. Try not to overcook.
7. While chicken is baking, pour fat free half & half and 1/2 cup chicken stock or water mixed with 1 teaspoon chicken base into a small heavy saucepan. Adding about a third of the flour at a time, whisk flour briskly into liquid until blended.
8. Whisking constantly, bring mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat. Whisk in wine and honey mustard until blended and reduce heat to low.
9. Remove chicken from oven, place each breast on plate and top with 1/4 cup sauce and serve. If desired, sauce can be served separately on side or in a small dish.
Yield: 4 servings each with 1/3 cup sauce at approximately 307 calories; 5.5 grams total fat; 2.3 grams saturated fat; 90 milligrams cholesterol; 24 grams carbohydrate; 0 dietary fiber; 40.2 grams protein; 1230 milligrams sodium.