1 recipe prepared Light Chocolate Cookie Crust
1 cup sugar divided into ½ cups
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
¾ cup fat free half and half or skim milk divided into ½ and ¼ cups or
1 envelope un-flavored gelatin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-8 oz container 50% less fat cream cheese (4.5 grams fat per 1-oz.)
2-8 oz container fat free whipped topping (Cool Whip, etc.)
2 tablespoons dark chocolate shavings – optional
1. Prepare crust according to recipe below and cool to room temperature, then cover and chill until read to fill.
2. Combine ½ cup sugar and cocoa in heavy saucepan; add ½ cup milk mixing together well. Stirring constantly with a wire whisk, heat pan over medium until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Pour mixture into a large bowl; set aside to cool.
3. Pour remaining 1/4 cup milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle un flavored gelatin over milk and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally, heat mixture over low until gelatin dissolves, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently mix gelatin mixture and vanilla into cocoa mixture, blending all ingredients together set aside to cool.
4. Place cream cheese and ½ cup sugar in large bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. With mixer on low speed pour cocoa milk mixture into cream cheese mixture and beat together until well combined. Using a spatula or wooden spoon fold 1 8-ounce container whipped topping gently into cocoa cheese mixture until well blended.
5. Pour chocolate filling into pie crust, smoothing out top with spatula and chill for 3 hours or until set. Spoon second 8-oz container of whipped topping into a pastry bag fitted with a ½ to 1 inch tip. Pipe topping decoratively around edges and within center of pie. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and serve or return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: 10 servings with crust at approximately 280 calories; 6 grams total fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 11 milligrams cholesterol; 55 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams dietary fiber; 6.7 grams protein; 203 milligrams sodium.
Light Chocolate Cookie Crust
1 cup low fat chocolate graham cracker crumbs or 8 whole crackers, crushed or 34 Reduced fat Chocolate Nilla Wafter cookies, crushed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Land O Lakes Light Butter (5.5 grams fat per 1 tablespoon) or other light butter or margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Combine crumbs, sugar and melted margarine in the bottom of 9 to 10-inch spring-form pan. Pat crust evenly over bottom of pan. Bake crust for 8 minutes, remove from oven and set aside to cool before filling.
Recipes from the Cookbook, LIGHTEN UP, THE ART OF LOW FAT GOURMET COOKING,
by Mary E. Ross
Compare at 420 calories and 29 grams total fat