¾ cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup pumpkin puree fresh or canned
1 egg and 4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 recipe Light Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly coat a nonstick or stick resistant jelly roll pan or baking sheet with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour. Whisk flour together with sugar, soda and spices in a mixing bowl until well combined. In a smaller bowl whisk pumpkin together with egg, egg whites, vanilla and lemon juice.
2. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and mix all ingredients together on low speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Try not to over beat or beat on too high a speed as batter will take on air bubbles.
3. Pour batter into pan and smooth out top. Bake at 350º for 15 to 18 minutes or until cakes tests done. While cake is baking, lay a damp linen towel on counter or other flat surface. Sprinkle the towel with powdered sugar. When cake is done remove from oven and turn out onto towel. Carefully roll the towel up lengthwise with the cake in it. Then place towel-in-cake on a cooling rack and cool for 20 minutes.
4. When cake has cooled, carefully unroll it and transfer to a large sheet of plastic wrap. Spread frosting evenly over surface and immediately re-roll the cake back up. Transfer roll to refrigerate and chill several hours before serving or freeze cake wrapped in aluminum foil for up to 2 weeks. To serve cut cake into slices just before serving.
Light Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cup confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
½ cup (4 oz) 50% less fat cream cheese
½ cup (4-oz) fat free cream cheese block
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1. Whisk or mix all ingredients together until well blended and set aside covered until ready to use.
Yield 10 servings with frosting each at approximately 217 calories; 2.3 grams total fat; 1.3 grams saturated fat; 28 milligrams cholesterol; 43.5 grams carbohydrate; 1 gram dietary fiber; 5.8 grams protein and 392 milligrams sodium.
HIGH FAT VERSION COMPARES AT 366 CALORIES AND 15 GRAMS TOTAL FAT