6 decorative wax paper or foil cup cake liners
6 small/medium apples, washed and well dried with stems removed
25 caramel candies, unwrapped
5 ounces marshmallow cream (approximately ¾ of a 7-ounce jar or 1 cup cream)
6 wooden Popsicle sticks or caramel apple skewers
2 tablespoons water
brown food coloring – optional
1 ounce molding milk or dark chocolate, finely chopped
colored frostings in tubes, black, orange, purple, etc
½ cup additional marshmallow cream
Candy Halloween decorations, sprinkles etc. – optional
2 heavy duty pint size zip lock freezer bags
1. Gently spread cup cake liners flat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Insert wooden sticks into stem end of each thoroughly dried apple and set aside.
2. Place unwrapped caramels and 2 tablespoons water in top pan of a small double boiler or small heavy bottom sauce pan, gently melt caramels over low to medium/low heat until smooth, about 8 to ten minutes.
3. Stir in marshmallow cream and food color if desired to achieve original color of caramel, 1 to 2 drops until smooth.
4. Dip apples into warm caramel mixture and turn until coated. If coating in pan is too shallow, spoon/drizzle caramel mixture over top and sides of apple to cover. Scrape excess caramel coating from bottom of apple and place on prepared cup cake liner.
5. Refrigerate apples for 10 minutes so caramel will set up. While apples are chilling, place chopped chocolate in freezer bag and zip lock. Dip bag in warm/ hot water from double boiler for several minutes until chocolate has melted and is smooth. Open bag, twist like pastry bag to remove air, and clip a small tip off corner of bag and drizzle chocolate decoratively and evenly over all six apples.
6. Twist bag containing marshmallow cream like a pastry bag to remove air and clip small tip off of corner of bag and drizzle over apples in same way chocolate was applied. Sprinkle apples with decorative Halloween sprinkles and or drizzle colored frosting over apples like chocolate and marshmallow cream and then apply decorative sprinkles.
7. Serve or refrigerate apples for up to 2 days. If refrigerated, allow apples to sit at room temperature 15 minutes to allow caramel to soften before serving.