1 lb. shelled and de-veined fresh medium shrimp
¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, 1 bruised and 1 pressed or minced or pressed
8 cups torn or chopped romaine lettuce (1 medium head)
2/3 cup fat free Caesar Salad Dressing, preferably Cardini’s
¼ cup low fat mayonnaise (1 gram fat per 2 tablespoons serving)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
4 anchovy fillets, drained, rinsed and finely minced
1 cup well rinsed bottled artichoke hearts packed in oil dressing
3 ounces fresh crumbled or slivered low fat feta cheese
1 ½ cup fat free garlic or herb croutons
fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Shell and de-vein shrimp. Bring 3 quarts water to rapid boil and add shrimp and ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper and pinch salt and cook for 2 minutes or until bright orange pink in color. Immediately transfer to ice cold water to cool, drain and dry on paper towels, then refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Rub bruised garlic clove in and around sides of large glass salad. Place romaine in salad bowl; if done ahead of time cover and refrigerate.
3. In small bowl mix Caesar dressing together well with mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1 clove pressed or minced garlic, olive oil and anchovies.
4. Rinse artichoke hearts well in warm water and drain on paper towels and set aside. This will remove the majority of excess oil without taking away the flavor. Do not use can artichoke hears as they can be tough and stringy.
5. Grind fresh black pepper on greens to taste. Add dressing to greens and toss gently. Add feta cheese, chilled shrimp, artichokes and croutons to salad. Toss all ingredients together again gently and serve.
Yield: 4 servings each as a main course at approximately 247 calories; 7.4 grams total fat; 2.8 grams saturated fat; 181 milligrams cholesterol; 28 grams carbohydrate; 3.7 grams dietary fiber; 23.7 grams protein; 1128 milligrams sodium.
Salad can also be served as a first course for 8, just divide the nutritional value in half.
Comparison: 557 calories; 45.7 grams total fat; 219 cholesterol