cooking spray – Oriental or regular
½ pound (2) 96 to 98% fat free spicy Italian or Cajun sausages, cooked and thinly sliced on diagonal
½ pound chicken breast meat cut into bite size pieces
8 oz. dry large rice stick noodles (approximately 1/3 to ½ inch wide) *
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons dark Oriental sesame oil
3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 fresh red chilies seeded and chopped
4 green onions, whites sliced thinly on the diagonal and green stems cut into short strips. separated
½ cup bean sprouts, scraggly ends removed
1. Soak noodles in hot water for 10 minutes or until soft, or cook in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain , spray lightly with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mix dark soy sauce together well with brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and set aside.
3. Spray a large non-stick wok or frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium high. Add sausage and chicken and fry meats together tossing regularly until sausage slices are browned and chicken is done. Remove from wok and set aside in a separate covered dish to keep warm.
4. Wipe out wok or pan and re-spray lightly with cooking spray. Reheat over medium high for 2 to 3 minutes, then add onion, garlic, chilies and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes, add noodles, dark soy sauce brown sugar and vinegar and oil mixture, stems of green onions and cook for 1 minute or until noodles begin to soften. Add meats and bean sprouts and toss an additional 30 to 60 seconds..
5. Arrange noodles on large serving plate, garnish with sliced whites of green onions and serve immediately.
Yield 4 servings at approximately 460; 7 grams total fat; 1.4 grams saturated fat; 52 milligrams cholesterol; 74 grams carbohydrate; 5.3 grams dietary fiber; 23.7 grams protein; 1270
Traditional Recipe 565 calories, 30 grams fat and 240 milligrams cholesterol vs 460 calories , 7 grams fat, 52 milligrams cholesterol.