Combine breakfast and dinner with these savory waffle tacos!
We love traditional sweet waffles. But, add some savory elements and this breakfast can become a new dinner favorite! These cornmeal waffles topped with all the right stuff is the new dish for Taco Tuesday.
Find more recipes from Tara on Instagram, @tarateaspoon.
Jalapeno Cornmeal Waffles
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Leftover pulled pork (or Tara’s Garlic Lime Carnitas recipe, found in her cookbook)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage or slaw mix
- Chopped cilantro
- Radishes, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, oil, and butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk well to combine. Stir in jalapeño and cheddar.
- Heat oven to 200ºF. Heat waffle iron and spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into the center of each mold. Cook until baked through and just turning golden, about 2 to 2½ minutes, depending on your iron. Waffles will be about 3 inches in diameter. Place waffles in warm oven while you cook the rest.
- Top waffles with warm Cuban Garlic-Lime Carnitas, cabbage, and crema. Garnish with cilantro, radish slices, and a squeeze of lime.
Make your own crema by whisking together ½ cup sour cream and 2 teaspoons lime juice.
For a fun presentation, serve these waffles like a taco bar, setting out the waffles and all the fixings and letting everyone build their own.