There is actually no chicken in this no-chicken salad!
If you’re leaning towards a plant-based diet, this is the recipe to get you started. It has all the flavor and texture of chicken without it being in the recipe at all! The replacement is soy, and if you treat it right, no one will ever know it’s not chicken.
Julianne Nagel shares why she started on a plant-based journey. The soy curls she uses require a little bit of a soak before preparation. The more meat-like texture you want, the less liquid you need. Julianne shares all the ingredients for her no-chik salad, and different ways to serve it up.
Inspired by Butler Foods
Serves 10 Keep refrigerated
- 8 oz. package Soy Curls TM
- 4 T. Butler Chik-Style Seasoning TM or 5 T. Mckay’s Chicken Style Seasoning ®
- ½ C. sweet relish (4 oz.)
- 1 C. Vegenaise ®, with soy or soy free(8 oz.) or any plant based mayo
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 1 C. celery, diced (4.5 oz.)
- 1 C. onion, diced (4 oz.)
- Garnish suggestions: Parsley, chives, spinach, avocado, sauerkraut, radish, extra pickle relish, fresh sprouts and pepper.. If you choose.
Cover Soy Curls with warm water and soak for 10 minutes. Mix in the seasoning and brown the curls. Let cool on a cutting board. Dice the Soy Curls.
In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and stir till covered.
Garnish suggestions: Parsley, chives, spinach, avocado, sauerkraut, radish, extra pickle relish, fresh sprouts and pepper if you choose.
Ways Julianne loves to serve No Chik Salad
1-A top plant based Pita Bread with avocado spread on the pita topped with baby spinach , then
the No- Chick Salad, topped with fresh sprouts, chives, cherry tomatoes all from my indoor and
outdoor garden… sprinkled with pumpkin seeds…with a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
2-In a gluten free organic spinach wrap with sprout, chives, spinach cherry tomatoes, avocado,
and sauerkraut; for a live probiotic to help promote a healthy gut.
3. As an appetizer or snack great for gatherings- a top crackers. Topped with chives and a few
4.Nestled in a butter lettuce leaf, topped with tomatoes, avocado, chives, sprouts.