Change up the standard sides for this years Thanksgiving meal.
Mandy Merriman shares three beautiful non-traditional thanksgiving side dishes.
Find more recipes from Mandy at bakingwithblondie.blogspot.com
Carrot Ribbon Salad with Cashew Sauce
1 lb carrots, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1/2 C roasted salted cashews + more chopped for garnish
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T chopped green peppers
3 T lime juice
1/4 C water
chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Prepare carrots and put into a large bowl or large flat plate.
2. Puree 1/2 C cashews in a blender with EVOO, peppers, lime juice, and water until completely smooth.
3. Pour sauce over carrots. Sprinkle with cilantro & cashews and season with salt.
Peas and Pancetta
1/4 lb pancetta, trimmed and diced
1/4 C red onion, finely chopped
1 t minced garlic
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
3 C frozen peas
1/4 C fresh parsley
1 T unsalted butter
1. Over medium heat in a large skillet, cook the pancetta until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, cook for about 1 minute.
2. Add orange juice, increase the heat to medium. Add in peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and fold in the orange zest, parsley, and butter. Add seasoning to taste – but careful not to salt as usual (pancetta is naturally very salty).
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
6 slices prosciutto, sliced in half
12 slices of asparagus, cleaned
1. Trim about an inch off the flat end of the asparagus. Wrap each asparagus with one of the half slices of prosciutto, starting with one corner, and wrapping tightly. Repeat with remaining asparagus. 2. Heat oil in a large pan to medium heat. Cook 6 wrapped asparagus’ at a time (depending on how big your pan is) until prosciutto is very crispy. Repeat with remaining asparagus. Serve immediately.