4 to 5 medium yellow onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, 2 minced or pressed
1 lb. fresh Portabella mushrooms, sliced
½ cup light red or dry white wine
8 cups Basic Beef Stock or regular strength beef broth made with beef soup base
6 to 8 slices crusty French or Sourdough bread made without added fat, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
6 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese (2.5 to 3 grams fat per 1 oz. serving.)
1. Cut onions in half, then slice into half circles. Spray a 5- to 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven lightly with cooking spray and heat on medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. If onions and mushrooms begin to dry out or stick, reduce heat and add a little wine, water or beef stock.
2. Add wine, stock, garlic powder and pepper to vegetables and increase heat to medium-high. After soup has reached a low boil, reduce heat to medium -low, and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. A few minutes before soup is ready to be served, set oven to low broil and place bread slices on a baking sheet. Toast bread until lightly browned. Remove from oven and top each slice with about ½ ounce grated mozzarella cheese and return to oven. Broil an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese has melted, remove from oven and set aside.
4. After soup has finished simmering, bring back to a low boil over medium-high heat; stir in extra virgin olive oil, adjust seasonings if necessary and remove from heat.
5. To serve divide soup into 6 bowls, top each serving with a slice of toasted cheese bread and sprinkle remaining ½ -oz grated mozzarella and 1 teaspoon fresh grated Parmesan cheese over top of soup and serve immediately.