Orange Cranberry Scones
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chilled buttermilk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
Freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. Mix in orange peel.
4. Add butter and pinch in with fingers or pastry cutter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
5. Mix in cranberries. Gradually add buttermilk, tossing with fork until moist clumps form.
6. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead briefly to bind dough, about 4 turns.
7. Form dough into 1 inch thick round by patting it from the top. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
8. Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet for 10 minutes, cool completely.
9. In small bowl mix together powdered sugar, zest and enough orange juice to create a light drizzling consistence. Dip scones in glaze or drizzle over. Let glaze set, serve.