1 12-oz. Package of large macaroni
olive oil cooking spray
1 lb. 93% to 96% fat free ground beef or turkey (no more than 2.5 grams fat per 1-oz.)
1 large clove garlic, crushed or minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 1/2 6-oz. Cans tomato paste (9 oz.)
1 Tbls. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Black pepper
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Chicken base or bouillon
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Thyme
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/3 cup Madeira wine
Cheese Custard Sauce
1 recipe Nonfat Yogurt Cheese
1 tsp. Chicken base or bouillon mixed with 1/4 cup hot water
4 egg whites
1 Tbls. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 cup (2 oz.) Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
1. Cook macaroni approximately 1 min. less than directed on package. Macaroni should be slightly under done. Avoid overcooking as macaroni will continue to cook while baking. Drain macaroni well. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray, cover and set aside.
2. Cook ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble. Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until tender, 5 min. Add water and next 10 ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Add wine to meat mixture the last 10 min. of cooking time. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk yogurt cheese, egg whites, cornstarch, nutmeg and a third of grated cheese together well and set aside. Heat chicken broth in a small saucepan or in a microwave dish. Add a third of the cheese to hot broth, stirring until dissolved. Add broth to yogurt cheese, mixing well.
4. Arrange macaroni in an even layer over the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or in two bread pans; top with meat sauce; top meat sauce with cheese custard sauce. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over custard and bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit 15 min. before serving.
Yield: 8 servings at approximately 350 calories; 4.5 grams total fat; 1.6 grams saturated fat; 34 milligrams cholesterol; 48 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 26 grams protein; 760 milligrams sodium.
Nonfat Yogurt Cheese
1 32-oz. Container Danon Nonfat Plain Yogurt or brand which does not contain gelatin as a stabilizer cheesecloth, strainer, and bowl or container, deeper and slightly wider than strainer.
1. Line the inside of a strainer large enough to hold a 32-oz. Carton of nonfat yogurt with cheesecloth. Place cheesecloth lined strainer over the top of a deep bowl. Fill strainer with 32-oz. Carton of nonfat yogurt and allow the whey to drain off approximately 6 to 24 hours in refrigerator depending on the consistency wanted; discard whey.