Upside-down cake is a tasty way to highlight your favorite fruit.
Sarah Warner shares her recipe for plum upside-down cake.
Plum Upside-Down Cake
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter room temperature
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 large red plums, cut into 1/4 inch slices
(or any plum you choose, just make sure you have enough to cover the cake)
8 Tbs unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 Tbs corn syrup
Preheat the oven to 350
1) Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper. This is an essential step…you don’t want all your fruit topping to stick to the pan.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, slowly add the sugar, mixing four a minute. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. On low speed, mix in the vanilla until blended.
4) On low speed, mix in the flour and sour cream, alternating between the two… beginning and ending with the four. Mix for one minute. Set cake batter aside while you prepare the topping.
1) In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, corn syrup and brown sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter and brown sugar melt and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
2) Pour syrup onto the bottom of the parchment lined pan. Spreading it out so it is evenly distributed. Top the syrup with the sliced plums. Top with the cake batter. Bake for 30 min or until wooden pick comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream, or eat it cold for breakfast. Enjoy!
Find more of Sarah’s recipes on Instagram, @sarahmakesit