Quick Summer Berry Trifle
3 cups lemon flavored low fat or non-fat yogurt
6 cups fat free whipped topping, i.e. Cool Whip, etc
1 large angel food cake (14 to 16 oz.) made from recipe below or purchased at a store bakery
½ to ¾ cup raspberry or strawberry preserves
6 – 8 cups fresh berries, blueberries strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
additional berries for garnish – optional
2-3 quart (8 -12 cup) trifle dish or clear flat bottom glass bowl
1. To prepare filling blend yogurt gently together with 4 cups of whipped topping
2. Cut cake into 2-inch thick slices; cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam side up in the bottom of dish.
3. Arrange half of the berries over the cake; spoon half of the custard over the fruit and repeat the process. Cover trifle and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving top with remaining 2 cups chilled whipped topping and additional berries decoratively in the center.
Yield: 16 1 ½ – cup servings at approximately 215 calories; 0.5 gram total fat; 0.3 saturated fat; 1 milligram cholesterol; 48.5 grams carbohydrate; 2.8 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams protein; 232 milligrams sodium.
Note: Increase calories to 218 and fat to .9 gram if low fat yogurt is used instead of fat free.
Angel Food Cake With Italian Meringue
1 ½ cups sifted cake flour
2 cups sugar
14 egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Sift flour into a dry mixing bowl. Sift sugar into a separate bowl and set both aside.
2. Using a copper or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites first until foamy. At this point add salt and cream of tartar if using stainless steel bowl and then beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold in sugar with rubber spatula. Next, fold flour in to egg white and sugar mixture in 2 batches. Now, gently fold in vanilla, almond and lemon juice. When all has been incorporated, pour batter into a 10-inch non-stick tube pan and smooth out top.
3. Bake for approximately 1 hour until cake is pale creamy brown color and top springs back when gently touched with finger and/or a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool cake upside down in pan. When cool, remove cake from pan.
Yield: 14 servings at approximately 258 calories; 0.1 gram total fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 59.7 grams carbohydrate; 0.2gram dietary fiber; 5.5 grams protein; 71 milligrams