32 oz. chicken broth
1 T. plus 1 tsp., extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large zucchini, diced in ½ inch pieces
Dashes of each of the following: ground cayenne pepper; curry powder; garlic powder; ground turmeric; dried cilantro; coarse salt; freshly-ground black pepper
½ t. curry powder
½ t. garlic power
¼ t. coarse salt
¼ t. freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ c. Arborio rice
½ c. white wine
1 c. frozen peas, thawed
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1. Heat the chicken broth and 2 ½ cups water in a saucepan over low heat; keep warm.
2. Warm 1 T. of extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add zucchini and dashes of seasonings. Saute, stirring often, until the zucchini is golden in color, approximately 8-10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the zucchini to a plate and reserve.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and warm 1 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil in the saucepan and add the onion. Cook until soft and a light yellow color, approximately 5 minutes. Season with ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, ½ tsp. curry powder, ½ tsp. garlic powder, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. black pepper. Stir to combine and raise the heat to medium. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until it is translucent around the edges, approximately 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it is absorbed, approximately 2 minutes.
4. Cook the rice, adding 1 cup of hot broth at a time (stir until almost all of the liquid is absorbed before adding more), until tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.
5. Add the reserved zucchini and the peas. Cook until the peas are bright green, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
6. Divide among the plates and top with freshly ground black pepper and a bit more Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Karen O’Brien; Author, “Reinventing Dinner”