Tammy Morrill, Editor-in-Chief of Simply Handmade magazine shows how to make baby bibs out of cloth napkins.
Cloth napkin and/or fabric
1. Cut a 10 1/2 x 16″ piece from a patterned cloth napkin and a solid color of fabric. Layer together, right sides facing.
2. Cut a 3 3/4 x 7″ rectangle from the top center of the pieces.
3. Sew a 1/2″ seam around the bib, leaving the bottom open. Miter the corners.
4. Turn right side out, fold the bottom ends under and press.
5. Sew the bib closed by straight stitching two lines across the bottom (you could also edge stitch around the bib and close the bottom that way).
6. Sew a buttonhole on the right strap and a button on the left.
Click here for bib template
NOTE: The final bib size might vary by a couple of inches depending on the size of your napkin. You should be able to get two bibs from each napkin (or fat quarter of fabric) by folding it in half.
Simply Handmade magazine is available at most major craft, scrapbook, and book stores.
You can visit their website at www.handmademag.com for subscription information.
They have great ideas available on their blog at http://northridgemedia.net/blogs/simplyhandmade/