Your grocery list might include hamburger buns, but scratch that one off! There’s a few reasons why you should make your own at home.
Amber Eggett shares how to make the fluffiest, sturdiest hamburger buns your barbecue has ever seen.
Find more recipes from Amber on Instagram, @amberskitchen
Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water (baby bottle warm)
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- plus one more egg and 1 Tablespoon of milk for brushing into the tops of the rolls before baking.
1. Combine 1/2 cup of the flour, the water, and the yeast. Gently stir just enough so that the yeast isn’t floating at the top of the water. Cover bowl, and let dissolve and poof for ten minutes.
2. Add the salt, butter, sugar and egg to the yeast mixture. Stir to combine.
3. Gradually and slowly add 2-3 cups of flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing/kneading well as added, being careful not to add too much flour. Add just enough flour so that the dough is still tacky but when you touch the dough, large amounts of dough don’t stick to your fingers. When the dough stops sticking to the bowl, you have enough flour.
4. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes by hand or 2-3 minutes if using a stand mixer.
5. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, then cover the dough with a clean dishcloth, or with plastic wrap, and let rise for two hours.
6. Take the dough out of the bowl and onto a lightly floured surface. Gently divide the dough into eight equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball, tucking any seams underneath. Then using your fingertips, gently flatten each ball so it is about 1/2 inch tall, and 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide, now forming a disk.
7. Put disks of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for one hour
8. Preheat oven to 350
9. In a small bowl combine an egg and a tablespoon of milk, then gently brush it onto the dough. If you want, sprinkle on a few sesame seeds as well.
10. Bake the buns for 15-17 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely, then cut in half horizontally .
This recipe makes 8 large buns.