1/2 pound (8-oz) thin spaghetti pasta
1 red pepper, chopped
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup shredded carrot
2 lightly seasoned with lemon pepper and salt grilled or baked boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces or shredded
2 teaspoons plain gelatin
1/2 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar*
1 tablespoon best quality peanut butter
1 teaspoon dark oriental sesame oil*
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce*
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1/2 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce*
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
*These items can be found at your local Oriental market and are available in the specialty food sections of most larger supermarkets.
1. Cook pasta according to package directions without salt and oil. Do not overcook, pasta should be al dente. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. If you don’t plan on assembling the salad until later, lightly spray pasta with cooking spray, tossing gently to mix. This will prevent pasta from sticking together.
2. Pour 1/2 cup water into small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 3 to 4 minutes. Heat water on low; stirring occasionally until gelatin dissolves, stir in chicken soup base and remove from heat and set aside.
3. Combine gelatin base in small bowl with all remaining ingredients and whisk together until completely mixed. Put dressing in refrigerator and chill 30 minutes to an hour to thicken. Shake or stir dressing well before using.
4. In a large bowl, add cooled pasta with red pepper, green onions, carrots and chicken breast,
5. Gently toss 3/4 of dressing with pasta mixture. Refrigerate salad and remaining dressing until chilled, 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, toss salad with peanuts and remaining dressing.