Studio 5 Contributor Wendy Smedley says it just takes an afternoon to create a set of delightful and inexpensive photo holders.
• Sticks such as lollipop sticks, pencils, or dowels as the stand (make sure it fits snuggly through the spool)
• Fan flowers
• Paper, stickers, trim, buttons
Sources: For unfinished wood spools look at your local craft store such as Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, and Michaels. Also, see these links on Etsy:
1.Embellish your photos
• mat photo if desired
• add stickers
• affix any other embellishments
2. Prepare spools and sticks.
• Color your unfinished wood with the following:
o wood stain- follow package instructions
o dye ink – use applicator such as make up sponge to dab ink on spool, completely cover
o spray color- this process is less controlled, but quick
• Embellish with paper. Using your favorite complete-coverage adhesive, adhere paper to spool (I used mod podge)
3. Make flowers
• pleat paper in even increments
• adhere two ends to each other
• push down middle and glue to cardboard backing with hot glue
• embellish center
My spool frames displays are done in sets of three with varying heights.
• adhere wooden stick to back of photo with photo safe tape
• glue stick in spool (I used hot glue)
Look at your display, does it need anything more? do you need to repeat colors of patterns somewhere?
• Add decorative touches such as
• trim around the spool
• trim at the base of the spool
• stickers to the photos
• additional flowers
Wendy blogs about scrapbooking, all things crafty, and her family adventures with five sons at www.wendysmedley.typepad.com