Sticky Toffee Pudding
· 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened, plus more for pan
· 1 ½ cups flour, plus more for pan
· 1 cup pitted, chopped dates
· 2 tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ cup sugar
· ½ cup brown sugar
· 2 large eggs
· 1 tsp vanilla
· Toffee sauce (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×9-inch pan; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine dates and 1/2 cup boiling water; set aside to soften. Meanwhile in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
3. In a separate bowl beat with an electric mixer the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, and continue to beat until well combined. Add date mixture, flour mixture, and vanilla; fold to combine.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 35 minutes or until set. Meanwhile, prepare toffee sauce.
5. Remove cake from oven; cool in pan 5 minutes. Using a toothpick or chopstick, poke holes all over cake. Pour about 1 cup warm sauce over cake; let absorb at least 20 minutes. Invert onto serving dish and serve with additional sauce and vanilla ice-cream if desired.
· 2 sticks butter
· 1 ½ cups heavy cream
· 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
· Pinch of salt
1. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, heavy cream, light-brown sugar, and salt. Heat over low, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 2 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.