The sweet and tangy taste of this strawberry rhubarb crisp gives us all the summer vibes! Whip up this dessert for a kick off to summer barbecue!
Marguerite Henderson shares the recipe that packs in all the summer flavor.
STRAWBERRY AND RHUBARB CRISP
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 pounds fresh rhubarb, cleaned and cut into ½” thick slices (about 6-8 stalks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 heaping tablespoons tapioca or 2 T. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts of choice
- 1½ sticks (6 oz.) butter, cut into small pieces
Serve with vanilla ice cream or gelato
In a bowl, combine the berries, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon, tapioca, salt, orange zest and juice. Pour into a 9” x 13” baking pan and spread evenly.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, sugars, cinnamon, nuts, and butter. With a pastry cutter, blend until butter is cut into pea sized pieces. Spread mixture evenly over fruit. Bake UNCOVERED in preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly and crispy on top.
(Can be made a day ahead up to this point, refrigerate, then reheat in 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes before serving just to warm through)
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Serves 8-10.
- 4 oz softened mascarpone
- 4 oz sour cream
- 2 Tbs jarred lemon curd (I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar