This type of stress gave us a burst of adrenaline which increased our metabolic rate and gave us the necessary rush of energy to run from danger. Today, ironically, the tiger isn’t eating us up it is the unrelenting stress that we experience day after day. Stressors such as getting stuck in traffic, being late, paying the bills, losing a job, failing an exam, etc. add up and start to cause chemical changes in our body which have negative effects on our skin. Simply put stress makes you skin pale, congested, sallow, dull, and prone to acne breakouts.
I have listed some proven stress reducers.
1. Get up earlier than normal and use the extra 15 – 20 minutes to prepare yourself for the day and avoid those inevitable problems that occur before leaving the house.
2. Plan ahead for emergencies – fill your gas tank before it gets below ¼ full. Keep a well stocked “just-in-case shelf” with candles, hand cranked radio, water, etc. (72 hour emergency kit).
3. Get a good calendar system and write everything down – your memory is unreliable.
4. Prepare for your morning the evening before by setting out your breakfast items, making your lunch and putting your clothes out that you plan to wear.
5. Make duplicates of all your keys and keep a house key buried in a safe place outside and one in your wallet or purse separate from your key chain.
6. Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today; don’t put off for the next hour what you can do now.
7. Bring along a book where ever you go to read while you wait – I recommend Lee Child books.
8. Get whatever is bugging you fixed whether it be a broken windshield wiper, a watch that needs a battery, etc. just fix it or get a new one.
9. Allow extra time to get to appointments.
10. Remember that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so practice preventative maintenance in everything – exercise to prevent obesity, change the oil in your car to prevent engine wear, give your loved one a back rub instead of a brow beating to keep the love alive.
11. When taking instructions, write them down, ask questions, repeat back what has been said, this can save hours of confusion and frustration.
12. Invest in a good pair of ear plugs for those times when you need some quiet time in a loud place.
13. Get enough sleep!!!
14. Every time you have something in your hand, make a concerted effort to put it back where it belongs.
15. Take several long slow deep breaths while relaxing all of your muscles.
16. Get a piece of paper and write down your worries, then put them in a drawer and move on – remember that all the worrying in the world isn’t going to change anything.
17. Just say “no”. You don’t have to be the white knight that saves the world or goes to every invitation. Remember that everyone needs time to relax – Even God took a day off.
18. If you find that your task at hand is causing you a lot of stress – get away from it and do a relaxing activity for 10 minutes. You will find that you look at the problem/task with a fresh perspective and can complete it faster.
19. Develop a work-rest program. Put the timer on for 45 minutes and go full throttle on an activity that you have been putting off; reward yourself with 15 minutes of reading a favorite book. Then start the timer again and continue this program until your least favorite project is complete.
20. Don’t do anything that you know you will regret or that will lead to you telling a lie.
21. Have a forgiving spirit and remember that we live in an imperfect world with imperfect people.
22. Do something you love every day!
23. The best way to make your self happy is to give happiness to others.
24. And finally – Do something that will improve your appearance – remember that looking better makes you feel better about yourself. Come to Abare Skin Clinic for perhaps the most beautiful skin you have ever seen!!!