2 pounds potatos
Olive oil cooking spray
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes cut into strips
2 cups sliced portabella mushrooms
¼ cup white wine or broth
½ pound low fat Italian Sausage 94 to 98% fat free
¾ teaspoon salt divided into thirds
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese (2 to 2.5 grams fat per 1-oz.)
6 whites or 1 cup fat free egg substitute
2 tablespoons skim milk
½ cup Fresh Grated Asiago or Parmesan Cheese (2 ounces)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ tablespoon dried
1. Peel potatoes, slice and place in cold water to keep from browning. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and add potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer potatoes until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain potatoes and toss lightly with ¼ teaspoon salt and set aside.
2. Remove sausage from casings if necessary and cook over medium heat crumbling meat until done. Drain sausage on paper towels if necessary to remove any fat. If sausage is very lean, between 96 ad 98% fat cook with onions and other vegetables
3. Lightly spray a non-stick or stick resistant pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, wine and ¼ teaspoon salt and sauté 5 to 10 minutes until onions are tender. Add sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cooking an additional 2 minutes.
4. Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom of baking dish. Top with vegetable and sausage mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese followed by another layer of potatoes.
5. Whisk together well, eggs, egg whites or egg substitute, skim milk and half of Parmesan or Asiago cheese, thyme ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper and pour over the top of potatoes.
6. Top egg mixture with remaining cheese and bake in a pre-heated over at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Cut into slices and serve alone or toped with a heated marinara sauce if desired.
Version with sausage: Yield 6 servings without at approximately 319 calories; 8.4 total fat grams; 3.9 grams saturated fat; 65 milligrams cholesterol; 34.8 grams carbohydrate; 5.7 gram dietary fiber; 22.4 protein; 861 milligrams sodium.
High Fat Version with Sausage 661 calories 40 total grams fat 281 milligrams cholesterol