These sweet potato rolls are our new favorite fall side.
It’s savory and sweet, all wrapped up into one flavorful roll! A little sweet potato in your bread dough and you’ve got yourself a fall side dish that you’ll be reaching for again and again.
Matthew Trone shares how to put it all together. He shares how to make a delicious brown sugar butter topping, and how to make sure your dough rises to perfection.
Find more recipes from Matthew on Instagram, @themanlybaker.
Sweet Potato Rolls with Brown Sugar Butter
Yields 12 rolls
*Adapted from tastyeverafter.com
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted & cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cooked, peeled, & mashed sweet potato
- 3 – 3.5 cups flour
- Cooking spray
Brown sugar butter
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
1. In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and honey. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in melted butter, salt, beaten egg, and sweet potato
3. Add 2 cups of the flour and stir together.
4. Heavily flour a countertop and dump dough onto counter
5. Knead and continue to add flour slowly as dough becomes too sticky.
6. Continue to knead until dough feels sticky, but doesn’t stick to your finger.
Optional: Steps 1 – 6 can also be done in a stand mixer.
7. Shape into ball, place in oiled bowl and turn to coat.
8. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel.
9. Let rise for 1 hour at room temperature or overnight in fridge.
10. Punch down the dough and knead for a couple minutes
11. Divide dough into 3 large sections of equal size, then divide each section into 12 balls of
12. Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray and place 3 dough balls in each cup.
13. Put a large spoonful of brown sugar butter on top of each roll. Let rise for 30 – 60 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°.
14. Bake for 12 – 16 minutes until golden brown on top. Optional: place cookie sheet
underneath un case of overflow of the brown sugar butter.