1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce*
1 tablespoon dark Oriental sesame oil
2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
2 cloves fresh garlic minced or pressed
½ teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
1. Mix all ingredients together well until combined and set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
1 lb. shelled and de-veined fresh medium shrimp
8 oz. dry rice stick noodles*
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced – optional
2/3 cup shredded carrots
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3-cup fresh chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
1. Shell and de-vein shrimp. Bring 3 quarts water to rapid boil and add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes or until bright orange pink in color. Immediately transfer to ice cold water to cool, drain and dry on paper towels, then refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Soak noodles in warm water for 10 minutes then cook in boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes until al dente, rinse in cold water, drain well, cut into 2 -inch to 4 -inch pieces and set aside.
3. Mix noodles with peppers, cabbage, carrot, green onions and cilantro. Add chilled shrimp and dressing to noodle/vegetable mixture and toss all ingredients together gently until well combined.
4. Sprinkle chopped peanuts, a little brown sugar over top of salad and serve, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
Yield 8 servings 272 calories; 4.3 grams total fat; 0.8 gram saturated fat; 66 milligrams cholesterol; 46.5 grams carbohydrate; 4.9 grams dietary fiber; 11.8 grams protein; 550 milligrams sodium.
* Rice stick noodles and Thai Fish Sauce can be found in Oriental markets and some specialty food sections for major grocery stores.