Meagan Whitehead, interior design instructor at The Art Institute of Salt Lake City tells Studio 5 viewers what are upcoming trends in design and more about the Institute.
What is The Art Institute of Salt Lake City?
The Art Insitute of Salt Lake City offers a bachelor’s degree program in Interior Design as well as Culinary Management, Digital Filmmaking and Video Production, Graphic Design and Interactive Media Design; associate’s degree programs in Baking and Pastry, Culinary Arts and Graphic Design; and diploma programs in Baking & Pastry, and the Art of Cooking.
Students who complete Art Institute degree programs are in demand! Within six months of graduation, over 90 percent of the Art Institute graduates are placed in jobs in their career field.
Classes at The Art Insitute of Salt Lake City are taught by successful, working professionals with real life experience. The Art Institute of Salt Lake City is part of a network of more than 40 schools located throughout Northern America providing an important source of design, media arts, fashion and culinary arts professionals. Students have the option of using this network to their advantage for internships and employment opportunities both locally and across North America.
Meagan Whitehead’s Upcoming Trends in Design
1. Wallpaper is big! It’s being seen everywhere.
2. New colors and color combinations are trend sin 2008
New colors include kelly green, white, plum purple, gray and yellows
Combinations of blue and brown
Combinations of black and white
3. Green products adn environmentally friendly furniture and materials are being used. Bamboo or cork flooring and furniture made from recycled material or green products are examples.
4. Sectionals instead of the standard sofa, loveseat and chair combinations are an upcoming trend.
5. Metallic is in. Seeing more chrome, crystal chandeliers, metallic colored leather or fabrics and metallic finishes on furniture, mirrors and accessories.
6. Turning the vanity into a vessel bowl sink during bathroom remodels is a current trend. Sinks sit on top of the countertop.
What’s is an interior designer?
An interior designer has a degree in interior design. Their expertise includes decorating, but they also participate in the structural aspect of the building or house. They work hand in hand with architects, engineers and contractors to help design the interior of the building or home structurally. They often draft up construction documents. Another term for an interior designer is an interior architect.
To learm more about The Art Institutes of Salt Lake City, go to www.artinstitutes.edu/saltlakecity for more information