Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
Elena Davis shares how to make adorable thumbprint heart cookies.
Thumbprint Heart Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- ½ cup raspberry or strawberry jam (for filling cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie trays, or baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar & salt until light and fluffy using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the eggs on low speed, one at a time, until combined. Add vanilla and almond extracts, then mix on medium speed until well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the flour to the mixture and mix until a dough forms. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until a semi-soft, sticky dough is formed. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Grease hands with a bit of oil. Divide the dough into 24 even pieces, then roll each into a ball. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, staggering the rows of cookies and leaving about 1½ inches between each one. Grease your hands again and gently press your thumb or index finger into the dough diagonally toward the left side, then rotate your finger to press again toward the right side, making a heart shape. Fill the indents with your favorite jam.
- Transfer the trays to the oven and bake until lightly golden at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool them on a cooling rack, and dust them with powdered sugar (if desired). Enjoy with love!