There are a few recipes that are so easy that you know them by heart,
and so good that everyone wants the recipe from you. How about a
stew so easy that you don’t even have to cook over a hot pot all
evening. This one is made in the oven.
Mom’s Oven Stew
1 to 1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 diced onion
2 cups chunked potatoes
2 cups chunked celery
2 cups chunked carrots
1 can (10 ¾ oz) tomato soup
1 can (10 ¾ oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 can water
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp uncooked rice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cut vegetables and place in roasting pan or 9×13 inch baking dish.
3. Add soups, water, salt, pepper, sugar, and rice and mix well.
4. Pour soup mixture over vegetables.
5. Break up raw ground beef into chucks and sprinkle on top. The ground beef does not
need to be browned.
6. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 3 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally. You may need
to add a little water if it’s to thick. Serves 8.
Food blogger (www.realmomkitchen.com) and cookbook
author Laura Powell shares her grandma’s recipe for Oven Stew.