Michelle Virtue with BYU Campus Craft & Floral shows us how to dress up our arrangements with unique vase fillers.
The key to successful and affordable entertaining is using or re-using things you already have in your home. Nearly everyone has a clear glass vase in some shape or size hiding in their kitchen cupboard. It is time to pull it out and put it to use! That simple piece has endless potential and the key to making it more versatile is filling it with fun and unexpected fillers. It just takes a bit of creativity to transform it from something plain to something with pizzazz.
Here are our 10 favorite vase fillers for spring:
1. Buttons—Try layering colors, using various sizes, and styles.
2. Sand, Seashells & Sea Glass
3. Fresh foliage—Grasses, tropical foliages and flexible branches.
4. Dried Bulk Items—including rice, coffee beans, nuts, sunflower seeds, popcorn kernels, split peas, beans and pasta (opt for interesting pasta shapes like bow tie, butterflies, corkscrews, shells, and wheels).
5. Things you would find in the GARAGE—old keys, washers, nuts, bolts, bubble wrap.
6. Candy – hard candies, lollipops, gum balls, licorice, etc. We love lemonhead for summer!
7. Fruits & Vegetables – whole or sliced. Don’t be afraid to experiment with grapes, coconut, celery, citrus fruits, cranberries, asparagus, artichokes, and cabbage. The possibilities are endless.
8. River Rocks, Stones & Pebbles
9. Aluminum Wire—comes in a wide range of sizes and colors.
10. Synthetic Floral Products—colored wet oasis foam, Crystal Accents beads or crystals
Other fun ideas:
Ornaments – perfect for the holiday season
Potpourri – Look for modern mixes that incorporate
decorative ball shapes
Plastic Crystals & Acrylic Diamonds – several colors & styles available
Decorative Moss – loose moss or decorative moss balls and cobbles
Christmas/Holiday Greenery—including pinecones and cinnamon sticks
Flowers (silk & fresh)
Herbs (rosemary is beautiful)
Pits and seeds
For a great selection of fresh flowers and home décor, visit BYU Campus Craft & Floral:
Campus Craft & Floral
Provo, UT 84602