6 2-oz. veal cutlets
2 egg whites or 1 egg white and 2 tablespoons egg substitute
1 tablespoon water
1 recipe Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
olive oil or other vegetable cooking spray
1 recipe Basic Marinara
6 1/2-oz. slices Frigo Truly Light Mozzarella cheese or other reduced fat mozzarella cheese (2 grams fat per 1 oz.)
1. Cover turkey cutlets with plastic wrap and lightly pound with a wooden mallet or rolling pin to an 1/8-inch thickness. In small bowl, beat egg whites with 1 tablespoon water. Dip cutlets in egg white and cover both sides in seasoned bread crumbs. Place breaded cutlets on a plate and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 250º F. Lightly spray a large stick-resistant skillet with cooking spray and preheat on medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and place in warm oven. Fry 3 to 4 cutlets at a time for 2 minutes on each side and transfer to baking dish in oven.
3. Remove baking dish from oven and increase temperature to 400º F. Cover each cutlet with 1/2 cup marinara and top with a slice mozzarella. Bake cutlets for 3 minutes or until cheese melts; remove from oven and serve.
olive oil cooking spray
1 cup dry white or a light bodied red wine
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
1 28-oz. can ready cut roma or regular tomatoes or 2 lb. fresh roma or regular tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon fresh oregano (1/2 tablespoon dry)
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 to 8 shakes chili powder or cayenne pepper
fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh basil (1 tablespoon dry)
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Lightly spray a 4-quart stock pot with olive oil cooking spray and preheat on medium. Sauté garlic 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Add tomatoes and all remaining ingredients, except basil and olive oil.
2. Simmer sauce for 1 to 4 hours. Add basil and olive oil to a few minutes before end of cooking time.
SEASONED ITALIAN BREAD CRUMBS
2 oz. (2 to 3 slices) fresh Italian or sourdough bread made without added fats or sugar; or1 1/2 cups
herb or garlic seasoned fat free salad croutons.
1/2 oz. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons Molly McButter, Butter Buds, etc.
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 clove fresh peeled garlic plus 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Toast bread and let cool until dried out. Combine bread or croutons in food processor with remaining ingredients and process until fine.