1 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 square butter, cut into cubes
Scant cup chopped walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted
1. Ask an adult to help you preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly grease the baking pan by rubbing a little butter over the bottom and sides.
3. For the filling, mix together the sugar, flour, and salt. Toss it in a medium-sized bowl with the nectarines, vanilla, and zest, and spread it all evenly over the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
Pinch of salt
6 cups washed and sliced, unpeeled nectarines
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest
1. To make the topping, put the flour, sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl. Using your hands, squeeze the mixture together until it becomes all soft and sticky and the butter it pea-size in the dough. Add the nuts, if you’re using them. Sprinkle this topping mixture over the fruit—don’t press it down.
2. Ask an adult to help you put the dish in the oven. Let it bake for 25 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.
3. Ask an adult to help you take the dish carefully out of the oven. East the crisp hot, warm, or cold. Top it with ice cream or whipped cream if you want.