A holiday recipe right off the menu of the luxurious Zermatt resort in Midway.
Hot, bubbly Swiss fondue, perfect for dipping veggies or crusty bread.
1 ½ c. White Wine
2 ea Bay Leaf
2 Sprig Thyme
3 ea Garlic Cloves, smashed
1 ea Shallot, sliced
1 ½ c. Cream
½ lb. Emmentaler
½ lb. Gruyere
½ lb. Raclette
TT Nutmeg, grated, to taste
TT Pepper, cracked, to taste
· Combine the first five ingredients in a small sauce pot and bring the wine to a slow simmer. Continue cooking at a slow simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by a half.
· Pour the reduction through a strainer into another sauce pot, discarding the bay leaf, thyme, garlic and shallot.
· Pour the cream into the wine reduction and bring to a boil.
· Reduce the heat and bring the cream to a slow simmer.
· Add in all remaining ingredients and stir every couple of minutes until the cheese is completely melted. Keep the fondue hot all the way up until it is going to be served.
· The fondue can be made a couple of days in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Simply reheat over low heat when you are ready to serve it.
· In Z’s Steak and Chop Haus, we choose to serve this fondue with a combination of freshly baked French Baguette and plenty of blanched, chilled vegetables including squash, broccolini, asparagus and carrots.
For more information visit www.zermattresort.com