Make coconut sweet rolls part of your Christmas breakfast!
These coconut sweet rolls scream Mele Kalikimaka! This recipe will bring a taste of the tropics to your Christmas morning spread.
Beverly Constantine shares her recipe for her traditional Pani Popo Coconut Sweet Rolls.
For more recipes and ideas from Beverly, follow her on Instagram at @MyChunkyTable.
Pani Popo Coconut Sweet Rolls
- 1 can coconut milk (13 oz), well shaken
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Prepare your favorite bread dough recipe or you can use frozen dough. You can also substitute for Kings Hawaiian Sweet rolls.
- If using homemade dough, divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll or shape into balls. Place dough or rolls into a greased pan spacing them evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees halfway through the rise.
- During the last 15 minutes of your dough rising, prepare the coconut sauce.
- In a small saucepan, combine all 3 ingredients. Cook over medium heat, using a whisk and stirring constantly for 6-7 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Pour half of the sauce over the rolls and bake for 22-24 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees using an instant read thermometer.
- Remove rolls from oven and pour remaining sauce over the hot rolls. Serve immediately.