Basic Wok Stir-fry Ingredients
green and red bell peppers
onions: scallion; red, white or yellow onion; shallots
cabbages: Nappa; green and red cabbage
leafy greens: bok choy; spinach; beet greens; kale….
squash: crookneck; zucchini; banana…..
oils for cooking
peanut, canola, corn, any salad oil
oils for seasoning
chili, sesame, other flavored oils
nuts and seeds: peanuts, cashews, almonds, sesame seeds
garlic salt and pepper
black bean sauce
1. Prepare all ingredients before you begin cooking.
2. Heat wok over high heat.
3. Add oil, garlic, onion of choice and gingerroot (for Oriental dishes) stir-fry 30 seconds.
4. Add desired meat and cook till done.
5. Add vegetables in order of density, carrots and broccoli take longer while mushrooms and bell peppers cook quicker. Add carrots and broccoli cook 2 minutes then add new vegetable and cook aprox 1 minute between each addition.
6. Once vegetable are cooked to tender-crisp add bean sprouts and chives along with the sauce, stir and continue to cook until sauce thickens. Adjust seasonings as desired and serve.
Master Cooking Sauce
½ cup soy sauce
2-3 Tbl rice vinegar
2-3 Tbl sherry
1-2 Tbl cornstarch
1. Mix all ingredients together. Pour sauce over stir-fry at the end of cooking time. As the sauce boils, it will thicken and coat the stir-fry.
Tomato Soup with Orzo and Basil
2 Tbl olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tsp minced garlic
1 (14 oz) can Italian flavored diced tomatoes
1 large (49oz) bottle spicy hot V-8 juice
1/4 cup orzo or other tiny pasta
garlic salt and pepper to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbl fresh basil leaves, slivered
1. Heat oil in large soup pot, add onion, celery and garlic, stir-fry 5 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes, V-8 juice and orzo. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the orzo is tender. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with basil and cheese. Serves 4-6.