The muffin these days has been out shined by the cupcake and other sugary confections.
But here’s a delicious version of the staple baked good that can rival the cupcake any day.
Marvelous Blueberry Basil Muffins
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups white wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup chopped basil
½ cup (1 stick) of melted butter, cooled
1 1.2 cups fresh blueberries
2 Tablespoons of all purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a different bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, lemon zest, and basil. Stir till incorporated.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir till combined. (over mixing will make the muffins tough, but no one wants clumps of flour in their muffin. Stir till the flour is mixed all the way in, but then stop stirring.)
5. Fold the melted, cooled butter into the batter
6. Gently fold the blueberries with the 2 tablespoons of flour to coat, then gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
7. Put the batter into the prepared muffin cups or buttered muffin tins, filling each cup ¾ full.
8. Top with streusel, or washed raw sugar.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
¼ cup toasted almonds
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup butter, cut into cubes
1. In a food processor, combine the sugar and the almonds and process until fine. Add the flour and butter and process again until it forms course crumbs. Top muffins, or eat with a spoon after a bad day.