Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
1 loaf homemade style bread, such as Grandma Sycamore’s
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoon vanilla
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut sliced bread into large pieces and arrange in buttered 2 quart baking dish. You might not need the entire loaf.
3. Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Gently push bread into cream mixture to help it absorb.
4. Sprinkle pecans over cream soaked bread.
5. Place baking dish in large roasting pan. Fill pan with hot water, so water come halfway up the side of the baking dish.
6. Bake for 75 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove pan, still in water bath, from the oven. Remove bread pudding from the water bath.
8. Serve warm with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. In medium sauce pan combine butter, cream and brown sugar. Heat to a boil while continuously stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.