Running in the dark is dangerous business. But as days shorten, you might find yourself running when it’s dark which has a new set of challenges.
Stay safe and seen while looking great with top gear picks from Jenny Willden, the editor of Outdoor Sports Guide magazine.
Ultimate Night Outfit from Saucony
Saucony NMD Vest- Highlighter bright with a windproof front panel and temp-regulating fabric to keep your core warm without overheating. $85
Optimal Sporttop- Sport this performance top under a vest or on its own. 3M™ reflectivity on the zipper with a media pocket on the back. $65
Omni LX Tight II- A full-length race-day tight with 3M™ reflective piping and Vizipro neon down each leg for max visibilty. Gripper elastic keeps them from riding up. $65
Beanie- Skip the head-to-toe fluorescents and just try this on top. Features reflective accents and bright colors with special fabric to regulate your temperature. $22 saucony.com
Saucony Ulti Mitts
Transformable mitts go to gloves and back by simply tucking the mitt cover into a stowable pocket.
· Visible from 300 feet away.
· Rechargeable USB LED light clips on top of mitt and offers an hour of steady or blinking light with a 20-minute charge.
Brooks Seamless Arm Warmers
When the weather doesn’t call for a full jacket, try these seamless arm warmers available in Nightlife green or yellow.
· Add warmth without bulk with lightweight, packable warmers.
· Perfect fit keeps them from sliding down.
· Warm and moisture wicking to keep you toasty and dry.
Pearl Izumi Fly Reversible Jacket
Neon isn’t flattering on everyone, and when the sun comes up, you may feel ridiculous in day-glow hues. Solve the problem with this reversible jacket.
· Bright yellow with 360-degree reflective tape on one side and basic black on the other side.
· Breathable, water and windproof fabric make it excel in stormy weather.
· Two hand pockets and one welded zippered pocket.
· Available for men and women.
Nathan Photon LED Vest
Top your favorite running outfit with this 360-degree reflective vest and stand out on dark nights.
· Provides visibility from 1200 feet away.
· Removable LED strips light up your front side for 150 hours.
· Zippered pocket stores gel or phone.
· Adjustable to fit all so you and a differently-sized spouse can share.
Dog-e-Glow Leash and Collar
Taking Fido with you on a run? Use this light-up leash and collar with an LED tube sewn into it to keep him safe!
· Visible from 1000 feet away.
· Six-foot long leash with reinforced handle. Collar size adjusts.
· Leashes and collars are available in a variety of prints and colors, including college designs.
· Easy push button on and off provides steady or blinking light.
· Includes batteries and an extra replacement set.
Relax Reflect Tank
Look sharp and be seen in a reflective top of your own design!
· Pick the fabric, color, and print.
· Edgy graphics light up when exposed to light and offer reflectivity on all sides.
· Available in tops, bottoms, jackets, and more.
· If you don’t want to make your own, pick from their stocked gallery.
Prices vary. relaxreflect.com
Princeton Tec Byte Lamp
Light your path with this powerful headlamp in a bitty package.
· Contains a maxbright white LED light and a softer red LED light for night vision.
· Weighs a scant 64 ounces.
· Charges with batteries and has 146-hour burn time.
· Adjustable to fit all.
Jenny Willden is the editor of Outdoor Sports Guide Magazine. She dabbles in (almost) anything outside, be it surfing or rock climbing, but focuses mostly on snowboarding, horseback riding, and running. Jenny received a B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communications from Seattle University and is passionate about sharing her love of outdoor recreation, fitness, and health with others. Follow her on Twitter @JennyWillden.
Outdoor Sports Guide Magazine is Utah’s premier publication for outdoor enthusiasts, featuring engaging stories, how-tos, a comprehensive race calendar, and gear reviews. View the event calendar and read the magazine online at sportsguidemag.com. Follow OSG on Twitter @osportsguidemag.