Cheesy Stove Top Chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts, 1 1/2 lbs)
1 small package Velveeta Cheese (8 oz)
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 small container of Sour Cream (1 cup)
2 c. Stove Top Stuffing Mix
6 Tbsp. of Butter
1. Spray a 9 x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken breasts in pan.
3. Mix together soup and sour cream (thin with milk, if needed).
4. Pour over chicken breasts.
5. Sprinkle stuffing mix over the top of the chicken.
6. Cut the Velveeta Cheese into thin slices and spread over chicken.
7. Top with slices of butter.
8. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until chicken is done).
Healthy Make-over tips for the Cheesy Stove Top Chicken
1. Reduced fat products –
2% milk Velveeta cheese (24 grams fat vs 48 grams of fat per recipe)
Healthy Request Cream chicken soup (6.25 grams vs 17.5 grams per can)
Fat-free sour cream (0 grams vs 6 grams per 2 tablespoons)
Butter reduce to 3 tablespoons
Recipe Make-Over Guidelines
1. Make Calories Count – It’s not about just cutting fat and calories – choose nutrient rich foods. As Americans we are eating more and more calories but obtaining fewer nutrients. In the nutrition world we refer it as over fed yet undernourished.
2. Adjust in Moderation – If the finished product is not acceptable you will not stick with the change. Don’t make all adjustments at once – makes incremental changes
3. Don’t Fight The Change – Choose something different. Most of us have a variety of dishes. Don’t fight the change. Enjoy it less often or on special occasions and choose one of your healthier dishes that do not need to be changed.