1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders with tendons removed, grilled or baked
4 cups or 1 10 – 12 ounce bag fresh spinach, washed and well drained
3/4 cup shredded carrot
3/4 cup shredded jicama
1/2 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
1 15-oz can Mandarin orange segments, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) low fat feta cheese, finely crumbled
1 cup Raspberry Feta And Walnut Vinaigrette
1. Lightly season chicken with garlic powder and lemon pepper seasoning and bake or grill at 350 F for 20 to 30 minutes until juices run clear. The amount of time needed to bake or grill tenders is about half that of a breast. Allow chicken to cool then shred or cut chicken into small pieces; cover and chill.
2. Wash, remove stems and dry spinach leaves. Tear larger leaves into bite size pieces and put all into a large bowl. Add shredded carrot, jicama and red onion and gently toss all together well.
3. Top spinach with chicken, Mandarin oranges, crumbled feta and serve with Raspberry Feta And Walnut Vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 servings each at approximately 260 calories; 5.8 grams total fat; 1.6 grams saturated fat; 32 milligrams cholesterol; 22.3 grams carbohydrate; 5.1 grams dietary fiber; 32 grams protein; 581 milligrams sodium.
Note: Salad can be served with a commercial Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing. This will reduce the fat per serving to 2.7 grams. An additional ounce crumbled feta will increase the fat in the salad to 3.8 grams per serving. This will give back the flavor removed if substituting the Raspberry Feta And Walnut Vinaigrette for a commercial Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette.
Raspberry Feta And Walnut Vinaigrette
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon gelatin
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 oz. low fat feta cheese, crumbled (6 grams fat or less per 1 oz.)
2 walnut halves, finely chopped
1 clove fresh pressed garlic
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1. Pour 1/4 cup water into small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water and let soften 3 minutes. Heat water on low; stirring until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Combine gelatin in a jar with all remaining ingredients and shake vigorously. Put dressing in refrigerator and chill an hour to thicken. Shake dressing well before using.