Nothing beats a homemade chicken pot pie!
A savory, warm chicken pot pie on a chilly fall day is what dreams are made of! This recipe takes it one step further. The crust is made with cheddar cheese, pepper, and Parmesan, making it a flavorful dish inside and out!
Beverly Knox shares how to make all the pieces of this chicken pot pie. The best part about this recipe is you can make it ahead and freeze it! Then on a busy day, take it out, bake it, and dinner is served – no prep required.
Find more recipes like this chicken pot pie on Instagram, @heirloomkitchenco, or at www.heirloomkitchenco.com.
Chicken Pot Pie With Parmesan, Cheddar, and Cracked Black Pepper Crust
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2-3 large carrots, diced
- 1 tsp. fresh Thyme
- 1 TBS fresh Parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire
- Few drops of tabasco (optional)
- 5 TBS butter
- 7 TBS flour
- 1 Quart of chicken broth
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 C peas
- 2 C chicken cooked & diced
Sauté onions, celery, and carrots in butter just a few minutes. set aside in a bowl.
Make your “white sauce”. Melt butter and add your flour. Blend and cook until light brown and fragrant. Add your chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Then add your cream and whisk until smooth. Cook until thickened and will coat the back of a spoon when you dip it into the sauce.
Add your seasonings. combine.
Fold in your vegetables and chicken.
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 C butter flavored crisco
- 1/3 C + 1-2 TBS ice cold water *I just fill up a bowl with water and add a bunch of ice cubes
- 2 – 4 TBS shredded parmesan cheese *save for later
1. In a bowl whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and cheese.
2. Add your butter flavored crisco and “cut” into dough with a pastry cutter or two knives.
3. Add your water little by little, lightly combining with a fork until it can be brought together into a loose, shaggy ball.
4. This recipe makes a top and a bottom, so divide dough into two.
Roll out the bottom of your pie crust and place in your pie pan. Add filling.
Roll out the top of your pie crust and cut some slits in the top. Place over the filling. Make sure to seal the sides well.
Brush with heavy whipping cream and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. You want the filling to be bubbling and the crust to be lightly browned. If your crust is getting too browned, cover with tinfoil until the middle is bubbling and hot through.
HERES THE BEST PART: 5 minutes before its done– after you’ve checked it and you think its almost there, sprinkle your 2 – 4 TBS of parmesan cheese on top and let it cook until melted onto the top. You want a good layer of this to make it extra yummy, so if you think you need more, add it! After all, it’s cheese, what can it hurt! : )
– I buy the pulled rotisserie chicken from Costco and keep it in the freezer during the fall/winter/spring months so I can easily add it to my chicken pot pie. One less step–and mess– of having to cook my own chicken.
– You can make your filling ahead of time and keep covered in the fridge for up to a week.
– You can also make your pie crusts ahead of time. Put each half, separately, in plastic wrap and roll your rolling pin on it to shape into little disks. Can keep if you’r fridge up to a week.
– Every oven is different, so start checking periodically around 30 minutes in! Also, check in to make sure your crust isn’t getting too browned.
– We love Kosher salt, so when sprinkling the top of the pie, don’t hold back : )
-TASTE, TASTE, TASTE. This pie has SO many layers, and you want each layer seasoned perfectly. So season your vegetables. Then taste them. Season your white sauce. Then taste it. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Combine those three, then taste it again to check your seasoning. It is SO much easier to season each layer than it all together, because this is a big pie!
Does this recipe have potatoes and if it does how much? Do you pre-cook them? This recipe looks so delicious! Thank you
❤️ Alice want to meet you! Click Here: http://bit.do/fSJVK ❤️