“Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream”
Ice Cream Ingredients:
3 cups half-n-half
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
Cookie Dough Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Soften butter, stir in brown sugar; stir in vanilla, salt and milk. Add flour and chocolate chips; stir to completely mix. Roll into small marble size balls, place on cookie sheet and freeze (may roll cookie dough into a log, freeze, then cut into 1/2-inch thick slices; cut each slice into quarters).
Combine half-n-half, white sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan.* Stirring to dissolve sugar, heat mix over medium heat until mixture almost comes to a boil. Remove from heat, and while stirring beaten eggs, slowly pour 1/4 mix into eggs. Return pan to heat and stir egg mixture back into hot half-n-half/sugar mixture. Continue to cook until ice cream mix thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon (temperature should be above 165 degrees for food safety, but do not boil mix). Remove mix from heat and cool. Stir whipping cream and vanilla into mix; refrigerate and chill ice cream mix well.
Pour well chilled ice cream mix into ice cream canister and freeze according to manufactures directions (also see below). When ice cream is frozen, remove dasher from canister and stir in frozen cookie dough clumps by hand. Enjoy ice cream immediately or ripen for later enjoyment (see below).
Ice Cream – – America’s number 1 summer treat! This delightful recipe combines our all-time favorite flavor (vanilla) with cookie dough for an irresistible treat. Adjust recipe portions to fit ice cream freezer. Recipe makes approximately 2-2 1/2 quarts frozen ice cream; serves 8-10
* For a faster recipe, eliminate eggs; combine sugar with half-n-half, stir until sugar is dissolved. Add cream, vanilla and salt. Place in ice cream freezer canister and continue with recipe as directed above.
* Do not fill canister more than 1/2 to 2/3 full of mix (see manufactures directions)
* 6-qt ice cream freezer will use 1-3 bags of ice (depending on how hot the weather is and how fine the ice is)
* Small bag of commercial crushed ice weighs approximately 7 pounds.
* Use approximately 1 cup rock salt for every 7 pounds ice
* Once canister is securely locked into ice cream freezer, layer ice and salt to the top of the freezer * Generally, freezing ice cream takes 20-40 minutes (depends on sugar and cream content and temperature of ice and weather)
* Ice cream is done when electric motor turns off (see manufactures directions) or when the hand crank is too hard to turn
* Ripening ice cream creates a more even frozen texture and a blending of flavors. Ripen using either method below.
1. In Freezer: remove dasher and place ice cream in freezer
2. In the Ice Cream Freezer: drain most of the water from ice cream freezer; pack freezer with ice and additional salt around canister; cover ice cream freezer with a heavy towel, blanket or newspapers (depending on outside temperature, ice cream will hold for 1-3 hours – but don’t wait that long, enjoy it before it melts)