1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup molasses
2 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate
2 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup milk
1. In the top of a double boiler, combine butter, molasses, and the chocolate squares. Over medium heat, stir until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and the ginger.
3. Pour the milk and the chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are mixed well and a soft dough forms. Chill.
4. Roll dough out on a very lightly floured surface to approximately 1/4-inch thick. Using a 2-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out shapes.
5. Dip each shape in granulated sugar making sure it is completely coated. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Let cool.
To make a gingerbread men advent, cut a 2-foot piece of plastic wrap in half lengthwise. (Use 24 gingerbread men cookies if starting December 1st or 1 per day until Christmas.) Place the gingerbread men face down, about 2 inches apart, down the center of one of the plastic wrap strips. Fold the plastic wrap over the cookies and turn over. Tie between each gingerbread man using curling ribbon. Cut one gingerbread man off each day until Christmas.