1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter (no subsitutes)
1/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 pkg. (18 oz) devil’s food cake mix
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
chocolate curls (optional)
1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and 1/4 cup cream. Stir over
low heat until butter is melted. (May be done in the microwave)
2. Pour into two sprayed 9″ round cake pans. Sprinkle with pecans, then set
3. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Carefully pour batter
4. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pans for ten minutes, invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
5. For topping, whip cream to soft peaks, adding sugar and vanilla. Beat
6. Place one cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving plate. Spread with half
of the topping. Top with second cake layer and remaining topping. Garnish
with chocolate curls if desired. Store in refrigerator.