All you need for these holiday recipes is pre-made dough and a little time.
Nothing is better in December than a warm, baked treat. These two holiday recipes capitalize on the candy cane, and you can whip them both up with dough you might already have in your freezer!
Heidi VanValkenburg, with Rhodes Rolls, shares how to make candy cane shaped breadsticks and sweet peppermint twists.
Find more recipes at www.rhodesbakenserv.com.
- 12 Rhodes Yeast Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Roll each roll into a 16-inch rope.
Roll each end in opposite directions about 3 or 4 times. Pick up and pinch ends together. The breadstick will twist.
Place on a large sprayed baking sheet. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes.
Remove wrap and bake at 350°F 10-15 minutes.
Combine icing ingredients and brush over warm twists. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
- For a larger candy cane twist, follow same directions except use two roll combine to make longer 32-inch rope. Then make a candy cane shape with dough.
- You can also use savory seasonings by brushing with butter then sprinkling with garlic salt or your favorite seasoning.