A new cupcake creation! A delicious homemade version of a favorite store-bought snack.
Cookies and Cream Filled Cupcake
1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. sour cream
2 t. vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
3-4 c. powdered sugar
remaining Oreos from cake, crushed
1/4 c. + 1 T heavy cream
1 c. chocolate chips or melts
Melted white chocolate for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Take your 24 ores and twist them apart. (If you are lucky, one side will have all the cream and the other side will be bare.) Take the Oreo halves with the cream and place them cream side up at the bottom of each cupcake liner.
3. Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove lumps and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together.
5. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
6. Fill cupcake liners (over your Oreo halves) 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. To prepare your Oreos for the filling, take the “bare” halves left over from the cake and crush them finely. Then put them through a sifter to remove the larger pieces. Add 1/3 cup of this Oreo “powder” to your filling and stir.
8. After cupcakes have cooled, use a knife to cut “cones” out of the top of each cupcake, deep enough to fill with your filling. Use a spoon or a piping bag to fill the holes in the cupcakes with your Oreo filling. Cut off the pointy part of your “cone” removed from the cake, and place the top back over the filling. (See my Homemade Hostess post for images on filling the cakes.)
9. Ganache: In a microwave proof bowl, heat chocolate and cream and stir until smooth.
10. Spoon chocolate ganache over your cupcakes, let set and then drizzle melted white chocolate to get that “Hostess” look.