Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Irish Stew and Soda Bread from Kneaders Bakery and Café.
Irish Stew and Soda Bread
2 T olive oil
3 T all-purpose flour
2 pounds beef chuck (or leg of lamb), cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 white onion, cut into large chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. beef broth
1 six-ounce can tomato paste
12 fluid ounces apple juice
1 T cold water
1 T cornstarch
· Heat olive oil in large skillet.
· Toss beef (or lamb) cubes in flour to coat.
· Fry meat in hot oil until browned.
· Place carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic in large slow cooker.
· Layer browned meat over vegetables.
· In mixing bowl, combine broth and tomato paste.
· Pour broth mixture into slow cooker.
· Pour apple juice into slow cooker.
· Cook stew on high heat for six hours or on low heat for eight hours.
· During last hour of cooking, dissolve cornstarch in cold water.
· Pour cornstarch mixture into slow cooker. Stir to combine.
· Simmer on high heat until stew thickens.
Kneaders’ yummy Irish stew compliments the Irish soda bread the month of March.
“It’s the perfect combination,” says Vincent. “A piping-hot bowl of scrumptious stew and our freshly baked soda bread that is great with Papa’s red raspberry jam.”
Kneaders Bakery and Cafe specializes in serving gourmet sandwiches, European hearth breads baked fresh daily in onsite hearthstone ovens, gourmet pastries, fresh soups and salads, breakfast items and more. Kneaders currently has 22 operating locations. For more information, go to www.kneaders.com.