1 recipe corn bread
1 recipe Spicy Country Style Sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
4 stocks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley – optional
1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts (3/4 lb.)
2 tart green apples, preferably Granny Smith, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chicken base mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1. Position knife blade in food processor bowl. Break cornbread into 4 pieces and then into several smaller pieces. Place several pieces of cornbread in food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times until coarsely crumbled. Repeat process until all cornbread has been crumbled. Set aside.
2. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to tap a sharp knife into flat side of chestnut to form an “X” in the shell. Arrange cut chestnuts in a circular pattern around edge of a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high 1 1/2 minutes or until shell lifts away from chestnut. While chestnuts are still warm, peel hard outer shell off to expose soft inner skin. Peel soft inner skin off chestnut, using a knife to separate thin skin from nut. Chop chestnuts coarsely and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 300º F. for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Prepare sausage according to recipe directions and set aside.
4. In a small bowl beat egg white together with water and bouillon mixture. In a large bowl combine cornbread with poultry seasoning, thyme, Bon Appetite and pepper; tossing gently until well mixed. Add apples, chestnuts, sausage, garlic, onions, peppers, celery, parsley, and egg white with chicken bouillon; tossing lightly mix all together until well blended. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stuffing should be only slightly moist.
5. To cook stuffing outside of turkey, place stuffing in a large Dutch oven or covered casserole lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake at 325º F. for about an hour or until raw ingredients are cooked through. Stuffing can also be put in a baking dish and covered with foil.
6. If necessary, adjust moisture by mixing in small amounts of additional degreased turkey stock or broth to stuffing until desired consistency is reached before serving.
Note: To remove shells, chestnuts may also be baked in a 400º F. oven for 15 minutes or until shell lifts away from chestnut.
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1 cup low fat or fat free buttermilk
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix applesauce, egg whites and buttermilk together in a separate bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 400º F. Stir wet ingredients into dry until blended, being careful not to over mix. Spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.