Sara Wells and Kate Jones from the blog and cookbook, Our Best Bites, share their recipe for creamy chicken taquitos dipped in homemade cilantro lime ranch dressing.
• 1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
• 1/4 C green salsa
• 1 t fresh lime juice
• ½ t cumin
• 1 t chili powder
• ½ t onion powder
• 3 T chopped cilantro
• 2 T chopped green onions
• 2 C shredded cooked chicken
• 1 C grated pepperjack cheese
• 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
• 2 T vegetable oil (optional)
• kosher salt
• cooking spray
• Heat oven to 425.
• Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
• Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir.
• Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic.
• Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions.
• Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
• You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.
• Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It helps to place them between damp paper towels. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it.
• Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges, then roll it up.
• Place seam-side down on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt on top. Place pan in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. Cool for 5 – 10 minutes and then serve with sour cream, guacamole or Pico de Gallo. Makes approximately 16 taquitos.
CILANTRO LIME RANCH DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
• 1 C. mayonnaise
• ½ C. milk or buttermilk
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 packet hidden valley ranch dressing mix
• 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• ½ C. roughly chopped cilantro
• ¼ C. green salsa
• Hot Sauce to taste
• Combine mayonnaise, milk, lime juice and the contents of the packet of ranch dressing in a blender.
• Add garlic, cilantro and green salsa and blend to thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
• Season with hot sauce, if desired.
• Refrigerate for several hours to allow the dressing to thicken and the flavors to meld.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE SARA AND KATE
Bloggers across the world are falling in love with Sara Wells and Kate Jones and their blog, Our Best Bites. Recent winners of the Better Homes and Gardens Blogger Cook-off, Wells and Jones are adding to their cooking repertoire by co-authoring a cookbook. Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen will be available to bloggers and non-bloggers alike February 2011 at all Desert Bookstores and Seagull Book and Tape.
Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen brings together more than 150 recipes for delicious, easy meals and snacks that are fun to make, use healthy, fresh ingredients, and are popular with families. The authors share their tips and tricks, mixed with an abundant sense of humor, step-by-step instructions, head notes and a full-color photo for each recipe. Tutorial pages are included throughout the cookbook to show readers the easiest way to cut a watermelon, roast garlic, make a great pizza crust, and many more. If there is leftover of an ingredient, don’t throw it away, because Wells and Jones provide an index for rollover ingredients to be used in other recipes.