Steve Rosenberg from Liberty Heights Fresh gives us an overview. He says the three vegetables that are most fresh right now are artichokes, asparagus and fiddlehead ferns.
• Artichokes with thorns, although they may be hard on your hands are going to have a much better flavor than the thorn-less varieties.
• Baby artichokes are also abundant in the spring season and can be eaten fresh.
• They grown best when it is cool, so they are most abundant in the months of March and April.
• Asparagus is low in calories, contains no fat or cholesterol, and is very low in sodium.
• It grows really fast when it is hot.
• Right now you can get fresh asparagus from the Imperial Valley in California, right next to the Mexican border.
3. Fiddlehead Ferns
• Fiddlehead ferns are truly wild plants.
• You need to fully cook them before eating. You can blanch them and saute them in garlic and butter or try olive oil, shallots, and a little cracked black pepper.
• They are only available for a few weeks in the Spring.
For more information, you can go to:
Liberty Heights Fresh
1290 S 1100 E Salt Lake City, UT 84105