When preparing your family for an emergency, don’t overlook one simple
step: Knowing how to contact your local emergency responders!
Holly Kirby, with Salt Lake Valley Emergency Communications Center shares
the shortcuts to getting emergency service on your side.
· Call 911 to: Save a Life. Stop a Crime. Report a Fire.
o If unsure if you should call 911, CALL
· For police, fire and poison control: Go to 911.utah.gov to look-up non-
emergency numbers for your area.
o Type in your zip code and call, share or print the non-emergency
numbers you need
o Smart idea: print the numbers and post them on the fridge
· Access non-emergency numbers on your smartphone
o Just go to 911.utah.gov from any browser on your smartphone
· When calling 911 call-takers will ask for:
o Address and city of your emergency (especially important with cell
o Phone number you are calling from
o Your emergency
· When calling 911 remember to:
o Stay calm
o Answer ALL of the call-taker’s questions
o Stay on the line until directed otherwise